Thursday, June 23, 2011

Girls' State 2011

Today was one of the busiest days at the Department. The Director was out for a workshop all day, Rates and Forms had an actuary in and were in meetings with him all day, consumer affairs had training meetings all day with everyone from the outlying offices, and it was our privilege to host a guest from Girls' State. This is our fourth year to be involved in this event. As Public Relations Specialist for the Department, it is my job to organize and plan her visit. She was a darling girl and everyone enjoyed having her spend the day. It's quite a challenge bringing a high school student to the office and keeping her occupied for four hours without boring her to tears. We are all about insurance after all.

I always prepare a mini book for our guest and this year was no exception. The girls at the Counterfeit Kit blog challenged everyone to create a smash book for the summer. I am doing that for myself as a sort of simple, daily journal and it has been lots of fun. So this year I made our girl a smash book for a memento of her visit. 

 

Usually I make the mini books at home. This year I decided to make it all from office supplies. The covers are manila envelopes; it is decorated with a mailing label and stamps my co-workers put on it as I roamed the office. 




It contains brochures and other items that we use for outreach. I included a plastic zip-loc bag that file folder labels come in for her to stow business cards in. 



Finally, I printed pages on white and colored paper from this link. The copy center bound it for me free of charge, and what a hit it was with everyone who saw it.

Are you keeping a smash book for the summer? Do you know what a smash book is? Check it out and get on board!

Thanks for looking and leaving a comment.

10 comments:

Geri said...

love your smash book and i know she will get a lot of use out of it... I still haven't tried to make one yet, but we are planning a vacation this fall and I want one to take on that trip with me so I am sure Ill be jumping on the bndwagon at some point in the near future.
Love yours!!!

Annette said...

I love that idea and I bet she did too. So fun! It's the first I've heard of a smash book...I think they'd be great to take along on a trip...our girls had something like that for our vacations so they could journal and glue in keepsakes and have a memory.

Anonymous said...

What a kind idea - love the use of the office stamps LOL - it looks great!

Emily said...

This is so wonderful and so thoughtful! I did Girls State in high school and it was a blast. I wish I had a book like this to have all my new friends sign and to hold all the memorabilia. I'm sure she will love it!

Tara O said...

What a GREAT gift! You did GOOOOODDDDD

ms.schwiet said...

I wish I had heard about this just slightly sooner. i would have loved to have one made for my stepdaughter's and their stay in Florida. I see you took good advantage of the samples and plus the stuff around the office...lol great idea

Susanne said...

Fun project - I must find time to get smashing too!

A Creative Operation said...

This is an awesome interpretation of the smash book, and I love how you gave it as a gift!! That is very cool!

Lisa said...

Oh, I love your smash book - I really will have to try one of these. Thanks for the link for the pdf. Great job!

Angela Toucan said...

fantastic book.