Wednesday, March 2, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Decor

I haven't really decorated for holidays other than Christmas in a long, long time. But last month I saw some fun Valentine mantle decorations and was able to come up with my own version pretty easily - and for no cost. I cut a branch from my apple tree and sewed some simple little hearts. I stuck the twig in a jar of dry beans. The frame (something I had in the basement) holds paper hearts backed with pages from an old book. I added a scarf for a bigger splash of red. The Valentine garland was purchased from Current years ago.



Since that was so much fun, I decided to try my hand at St. Patrick's day decor. Off to the thrift store I went. I didn't see anything that I had in mind, but I did find this planter full of spring flowers and this pretty frame. A bonus: the planter was 50% off and only cost me $2.00.



I painted the planter white and distressed it with brown and black acrylic paint. I found a pretty version of the Irish Blessing on the internet and copied it onto textured cardstock to fit inside the frame. I bought two bunches of flowers at Michael's (they were also 50% off but still more than $2.00) to freshen and fill up the planter and found a small glass bowl and some "gold" nuggets. Here is the finished mantle.












4 comments:

Martha ~ xpetunia said...

Lovely, especially because it was so inexpensive!!! ;)

Kylie said...

Looks lovely Tricia. I still have our Christmas wreath on the front door, so you're definitely putting me to shame ;-)

Emily Morgan said...

I loved your Valentine's Day decoration...the hearts on the branch were lovely. Someday I'm hoping to have time to decorate again...maybe next year.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh how pretty - I'm filing away that hearts on a branch idea for next year. St Pat's is too close to dd's b'day to get noticed here. Oh and we still have our Christmas wreath up plus a pile to make it to the loft - although I'm hoping to do that today.