Monday, December 19, 2011

My word for 2012 - Share

A few weeks ago, as we distributed our last Bountiful Basket for 2011, a very special thing happened. One of our participants gave me some of her homemade bruschetta in a jar. I know it was a simple gesture - didn't even have a ribbon on it - but it had a big impact on me. She wanted to thank me for being there every week with a little something more than just kind words. Her words and small gift made my day.

 

Just last week, after our office temp had worked her last day, I found a pretty note card on my desk. She wanted to thank me for being nice to her and making her feel special.

I am reminded of the story of the ten lepers that Jesus healed and how only one returned to thank him for healing them. I say 'thank you' all the time, but I don't often go out of my way to show my thanks in a way that is meaningful. 

So, as I pondered on choosing a word for 2012, it occurred to me that I should be like these ladies and do more than just say kind words. My word for 2012 is Share. This word encompasses so much more than just expressing thanks to others. I can think of many applications for this word. I also believe in karma, so in a way, this is a sort of 'seed planting.'

Have you chosen a word for the year? If you do, and if you let it, it can change your life.



2 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

What a lovely idea for the year - looking forward to seeing how you work through your word. I've chosen focus for 2012.

Betsie Morris said...

Such a fantastic idea for the new year. My word is actually two word: Follow Through or maybe it should be "Get 'er done" I think I need one of those phrases this year. I have a bunch of things started in my life and really just need to suck it up and get them done and completed. Your Bruchetta looks yummy :-)