Sunday, November 6, 2011

Scrapping - with Fabric

I haven't been scrapping all summer and I've missed it. I especially miss scrapping with the girls at Counterfeit Kit Challenge. But I got a bee in my bonnet to make a scrappy quilt for my bed. I searched the Internet and found this design:


It's called Patches and Pinwheels. I like that it uses a large variety of scrap fabrics, yet has a definite pattern. Very random, very orderly. Also, very vintage looking and that appeals to me.



I started by gathering fabric from past projects. As long as it can be cut into 2" strips, it will work. Then I sorted everything into two piles: lights and darks. I had high hopes that everything really would work together in the end.


I cut my fabric into strips. Some 2" and some 3 1/2". These were then sewn together in pairs of light and dark. The small strips were cut into 2" strips and became the patches. The wider strips became the pinwheels.




All squares sewn together and squared up.


Making sure the pinwheels are all going in the right directions and the colors and patterns are random.
Getting the stamp of approval from Smudge.


I'm happy with how this is turning out - such a fun project. Now that the top is pieced, I have to choose some fabric for borders. Decisions, decisions. Then there's the back . . . 






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your quilt looks gorgeous! I've only made 1 simple quilt and have a half done 2nd one. I'm a bit scrapping obsessed at the mo - but yours is very inspiring!

Annette said...

pretty. I love your soft colors.

Missus Wookie said...

Lovely colours - glad you've been missing us, we've missed you too. That quilt looks like a lot of work but well worth it.

Emily Morgan said...

That is looking so nice...just what I imagined from your fabric choices!

I can't wait to see the finished product!

Geri said...

Girl is there anything you can't do and do it beautifully? Your talent never ceases to amaze me. This is BEAUTIFUL!!!