Friday, May 6, 2011

Lackawanna Coal Mine

While traveling from upstate New York to New Jersey, we passed through Pennsylvania and visited this coal mine. It wasn't on the itinerary, but looked interesting. We learned a little history about this part of the country and had an enjoyable time. These are the last layouts using my April Counterfeit Kit. I have a lot left over, but it's going back into my stash to hopefully use another time.


These next two are a two-page spread. I sprayed the chipboard birds with mist and then added stickles and a bead to glam them up.

The mine was outfitted with mannequins in vignettes depicting life as it was when the mine was in operation. I think we traveled 250 feet underground in this tram. Thick beams lined the path of the tram. We were told that if the beams started to creak, the miners would get out as quickly as they could. The air was heady with the smell of coal. Life was harder back then and even young children had jobs in the mine. People in this area still heat their homes with coal. 



Thanks for looking!


9 comments:

A Creative Operation said...

Great layouts!

Crystal said...

What a very cool adventure. I love the memorabilia you use on it!

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

Have I asked you where you live? I also live in upstate NY (Rochester)...well, I guess it's more Western NY? LOL

Awesome layouts, I love the birdie!!! xoxo

Susanne said...

Great pages - very interesting embellishments. Nice.

Tricia said...

Julie - I live in Idaho. We were vacationing in New York last summer.

Razzled Scrapper said...

Awesome layouts. This place looks like a lot of fun.

Margie said...

Awesome layouts! Love the first one especially!

Tara O said...

These are awesome!!! Great pages!

Missus Wookie said...

I like the way you've held in the photo with the elastic and the memorabilia behind - such a great way to show it all.