Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chayote Rellenos

We had Chayote Squash in our baskets Saturday. I never heard of them before and don't remember ever seeing them in the grocery store before. Undaunted, I searched for recipes. This one for Cheyote Rellenos from the Food Network was shared on Bountiful Baskets Facebook page by my friend, Michelle. I made it last night and we decided it was a keeper.


Chayote squash look like large, green pears that are sucked into themselves. Cut them in half and remove the seed. Cook for 15 minutes in salted water. I had two squash in my basket, so I cut the recipe in half. 


Once the squash is cooked, scoop out the shells, saving shells and squash. Season the shells - you will be glad you did.


This recipe has a lot of ingredients. While the squash is cooking, chop and measure everything else so it's ready to go when the squash is done. Remember you have 15 minutes - step lively. Here we have onion, mushrooms, bread crumbs, almonds, jalapenos, garlic, oregano, cumin, tomatoes and the scooped out squash. Grated cheese is hanging out on the other counter.


Following the recipe, saute these ingredients in olive oil. 


Continue until everything but the cheese and shells is in the pan.


Stuff it all back into the squash shells.


Top with grated cotija cheese - find this in the Mexican food section of the grocery store.


Bake for 15 minutes until everything is heated through and cheese is melty. 
Enjoy!







3 comments:

Emily Morgan said...

They look great...we have it on our "menu," but we'll need some more ingredients. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Missus Wookie said...

`Looks lovely! I like seeing what is in your baskets :)

Geri said...

That looks a lot like what we call Mirliton. Great for stuffing!