Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Peach Season

On Monday I canned 14 quarts of peaches from the two cases we got from Bountiful Baskets last Saturday. Here they are straight out of the canner - still bubbling hot.


What's in here?


Today I made one batch of jam. These peaches were large - nearly equivalent to one cup each. But I was short about 1/2 cup and didn't want to eat half a peach, so I added a pear (also from the basket). Measured a perfect four cups of mashed up fruit. The white flecks of pear make it prettier I think.


I also sliced some peaches for the freezer. There are 12 quart bags here. Each bag has two peaches in it - so about two cups. No sugar added so that I can do whatever I want when I am ready to use them.


And we still have peaches to eat fresh. Not very many though, they won't last much longer.

1 comment:

Jan said...

You really should hide two jars for a cold day in Feb. Pull them out when no one has a cold; so they can appreciate the sweetness of summer.