Saturday, September 11, 2010

Our first Bountiful Basket

Several months ago, a friend told me about a wonderful opportunity she was taking advantage of called Bountiful Baskets. This is a group that purchases fruits and vegetables (sometimes other items) cooperatively to save money. The items are delivered to pick up points weekly or on alternate weeks. I was so sad to learn that they were not available in my area, but I signed up on the message board to receive information. I learned a few weeks ago they are starting to deliver in this part of the state at last. The two pick up points are about 30 minutes away, but we decided to check it out anyway. We arrived at 6:00 so that we could be among the volunteers. Turned out we were the only volunteers for a while. But we got everything off the truck and then others came to help distribute produce into the baskets. This is what we received for our $15.00 contribution today:



So many yummy things! Other choices were available today as well, so we purchased the Mexican pack:


As soon as we learn what to do with it, I'm sure we will have some lovely salsa or something! If you know what kind of peppers those big, dark green ones are, let me know. And because it is apple season, we also bought a 36-pound box of new crop Washington apples:


Everyone knows an apple a day keeps the doctor away. We're set for a while.

If we manage to eat all of this (except the apples) this week, we'll be back for another basket next Saturday!

1 comment:

Emily Morgan said...

Tricia---I need more information! this looks fantastic...if you have time, send me an email and let me know some more details....