Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fabric Boxes



My friend Joyce at OSU posted a link to a tutorial for making fabric boxes (by Christina, The Sometimes Crafter). They were darling and looked like fun. I picked out this pretty fabric to make two boxes. These are fat quarters from JoAnn's.











According to the instructions, these would be very easy and fast to make. I was surprised at how fast they really did go together. I made both of these in about an hour.










Here you can see the inside of the boxes. The interfacing will determine how stiff the boxes are. I used a fairly sturdy one for mine, but they probably won't stand up to a lot of heavy items. You could also use a thin batting.










Scrapbooking items are lightweight. These could be filled with flowers, trims, tags, journaling spots, small acrylic stamps, etc. I just grabbed a few items so you could see what size they are. About six inches square. Very fun.

9 comments:

Marlene said...

Love these boxes, great material you picked out too!

Kylie said...

These are awesome Tricia. They look great!

Chere' said...

Those are beautiful, Tricia! And handy - great job!

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

I love your fabric choices! They look great! I'm so glad that you found them easy to make, I love instant gratification when it comes to sewing. :)

marinka said...

These are gorgeous Tricia!!
Marinka

Ruth said...

Oh my, I must get my sewing machine fixed now. You inspire me!! I love the colors you chose.

Valerie Bishop said...

These turned out beautifully! I have some sets of fat quarters - I just might have to try these out!

Missus Wookie said...

Oh these are lovely!

Tara O said...

These are awesome!!!!!! Do you know if you can make them any size? I guess I could follow your link to the tutorial, eh?