Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Quilts for Haiti


On Sunday we were told that we had been asked to make 10-12 quilts for the people in Haiti. We had an activity scheduled for Tuesday night, so that was cancelled and we were to use that time to do quilts. I was given a bag of fabric to sew into a quilt top. Here is my quilt. All of this fabric was donated by other people and cut into squares for me. When I first looked into the bag, I didn't see how this was going to work, LOL! But I love how it turned out. I love the different colors and patterns and I love that there is no order to the arrangement. It is a true patchwork quilt. I finished sewing this together on Monday, and last night we met at the church to finish them.





This is my friend, Margaret. I think this picture is a good example of how fun it can be to get together and work on a project like this. Here we have the back on the frames. This backing piece is just a sheet that was in very good condition. We cut it to fit the quilt top. Margaret is going to put the batting on top of the backing now.






All of the quilts have to be tied. We are using crochet cotton to tie them. I had a choice of colors for my quilt and I picked red. Some people raised their eyebrows about that, but I like it. A few of the girls were new to quilting, so they got to learn a new skill last night. Three quilting frames were set up in the room, but several of the quilts already had the backing sewn on, so they were being tied on tables.











Here I am putting in the last stitches. Once this was done, we checked the back and found a few big loops. Those had to be repaired. Then the quilt was ready to take off the frames. Someone will take it home and bind the edges - with red thread they promised me! I hope someone will love having this quilt that was made especially for them.







We were told on Sunday that our storehouse is completely out of quilts, fabric and batting. People went home and gathered up whatever they could spare. Here are some of the piles of fabric and batting that arrived at the church last night along with a pile of finished quilts.






4 comments:

Geri said...

What a great thing to be doing, and having a good time while doing it is great. I love seeing the pictures and learning about the entire process!!!

Annette said...

I'm glad you went with the red. It adds a great touch. I like your quilt.

Valerie Bishop said...

Gorgeous Tricia - and I think red is the prefect touch for your quilt - that's what I would have chosen!! I know it will be truly appreciated! As will the rest of the quilts!

Kris Thede said...

Missus Wookie directed me to your blog. As a doc [11 years living in Haiti] I can tell you that the folks who get your colorful quilt will really appreciate them. They love bright colors-no matching required. So not only will you warm their bodies but their need for color as well. May the Lord continue to use you and bless you.