Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mammogram Day


Today I had a mammogram. This is the third year in a row - a milestone for me. I used to neglect this exam because it's uncomfortable, but since my dear sis found that she had breast cancer in 2007, I do not take it lightly. After giving me a very thorough physical exam, the nurse directed me to another room for the actual mammogram.

The Breast Cancer Detection Center where I go uses the latest in breast cancer screening technology: full field digital mammography. With this technology, the image is immediately displayed on a high-resolution computer monitor and I, the patient, can see what the radiologist sees. According to the Center's website, this system may help detect up to 20 percent more breast cancers in their earliest, most treatable stage. I was able to view images from a previous year side by side to compare. I could see that no changes had taken place.

I breathed a sigh of relief and went on my way. All done for another year.

Make an appointment. Have a mammogram.

1 comment:

Geri said...

Kudos to you for staying on top of this. My Mom had breast cancer and beat it .... my aunt is going through chemo right now ... so like you, I stay on top of it. I've had breast issues - lots lumps = knock on wood they seem to all be fibrous tissue and nothing of conern.
Stick with going every year!!!