Saturday, February 19, 2011

Betsie's Biscuits

My friend, Betsie, posted this recipe on her new blog. I love baking powder biscuits, and we make them all the time at our house. I have never seen a biscuit recipe that included eggs and sugar so I was anxious to try these. I have to say, this is my new favorite recipe! Look how they turned out - you can see the layers and how tall they are. (The odd-ball was the last of the dough that I formed with my hands.) I have included the recipe here (with my comments), or you can get it from Betsie's blog.


These were as mouth-watering as they look here. I completely over-indulged myself! I loved the flavor, texture and density of these biscuits. They were perfectly browned and slightly crispy - just the way I love them.


Betsie's Biscuits

3 C  flour
2 1/2 T sugar
1 1/2 T baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 C butter
3/4 C milk
1 egg, lightly beaten

Heat oven to 425F.

In large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With a fork, stir in the milk and egg just until combined. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly 4 or 5 strokes. The dough will seem dry - knead gently just until it holds together. Roll dough 3/4" thick. Cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Bake 10-15 minutes. I used a stoneware pizza round and baked for 13 minutes. I got thirteen biscuits from one batch.


2 comments:

Kylie said...

You know - we call them scones where I come from. Biscuits are cookies. What you call scones I call a griddle scone. And we would NEVER eat them for breakfast with gravy on - we eat them with jam and whipped cream for morning of afternoon tea. Or sometimes, in my house, when I have a hankering for them, for dinner ;-) They do look nice and fluffy though ;-)

Tricia said...

Kylie - thanks for the culture lesson! I love hearing about how things are different in different countries. We had scones growing up that were fried in a pan on the stove. We ate those with honey. The scones we buy in the grocery store are more like biscuits to me.