People are amazing. I have been having a great time observing folks while working my booth at the state fair. I have narrowed things down to the following general categories of fair-goers:
1. Don't make eye-contact with anyone in a booth or remotely near a booth.
* These people are on a mission; have tunnel vision. They are here to have fun and no one is going to get in their way. They made a pact before leaving home – accept no handouts!
2. Keep your distance, look if you must, but look away if anyone looks at you. Under no circumstances take anything that is offered for free.
* These people are quite focused but can be distracted by sights and sounds all around. Once in a while they will see something that interests them but their personal code of ethics does not allow them to take something for nothing.
3. Yes, I want what you have, but not if I have to look at you or talk to you to get it.
* These people slow down, but do not stop. They look at what you have, they want one, but they don’t trust you to give it to them without some obligation on their part.
4. Yes, I want what you have, I'm shoring up my courage to slowly amble over and get it. Might even have to turn around and come back if I see that someone else survived getting one.
* These people slow down, almost stop, keep going, then come back and only get close enough to nab what you have to offer with outstretched hands.
5. Yes, I want what you have, but I would feel better about it if you would give it to my spouse/child/infant.
* These people don’t want to be seen taking anything for free but don’t feel any qualms about their spouses or children getting free stuff. “Do you want a free bag, Zeke?” Zeke is two months old and sleeping in the stroller.
6. Yes, I want what you have, and I promise to take up quite a bit of your time trying to be interested in your materials and talking to you because you gave me something for free.
* These people feel obligated to repay you for the free item. Payment comes via the privilege of their company for as long as they feel is necessary. They will also rummage through every brochure you have lying around; maybe even pick up a few.
7. Yes, I want what you have; by the way, what is it?
* These people want your free item even though they aren’t sure what it is. Gosh, it looks like a bag; is it a bag?
8. Yes, I want what you have; can I have two? or three?? Do you have anything else for free???
* These people came to the fair today to gather as much free stuff as is humanly possible.
Everyone has their own reasons for coming to the fair. They bring their own uniqueness with them, and that – the diversity of humankind – is part of what makes going to the fair so much fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment